Do I need a PTIN?

Anyone paid to prepare federal tax returns must have a PTIN. Enrolled agents and participants in the Annual Filing Season Program are required to obtain PTINs. Attorneys, certified public accountants, and other practitioners are exempt from PTIN requirements if the only forms they prepare are informational, such as Form 2848, Form 1098, and Form 1099.